I have admittedly neglected my blog since the 4th of July, but with good reason...I promise! This past week, I've been hard at work trying to finish my newly restored coral dresser! I found this pretty gem about a month ago during one of my routine Craigslist hunts and knew it had to be mine when I spotted it. The shape and size were exactly what I've been looking for and the detailing and hardware are just beautiful! Yes, of course this baby needed a little bit of love, but at $40, how could a girl go wrong?
Isn't she dreamy?!
Apparently, at some point in time, someone thought it to be a good idea to stick laminate atop a solid wood dresser. The laminate look wasn't quite working for me, but from what I've read, it was nothing a little sanding, primer, and paint couldn't take care of. I sanded the entire dresser then applied Zinsser's Cover Stain Primer. According to my research, covering laminate would be no problemo with this stuff.
There I am! Priming is some serious stuff.
I should mention that I was sure to remove all the hardware before I started priming. And while I (impatiently) waited for the primer to dry, I gave the pulls some new oomph by cleaning and spray painting them black. I just love how the black really brings out their great detail and how they would no longer simply blend into the bland background behind them!
Once the primer dried, it was time to paint! I had planned on placing this dresser in our TV room, which was, well...Blehh, and in need of some color and a serious pop! I spied some beautiful coral dressers on Pinterest and, as you know from here and here, I'm just a little obsessed with the color. I decided to go with Bird of Paradise by Benjamin Moore. To be honest, I was pretty intimidated when I first opened that can of paint and even more so when I started painting the first coat.
Wow, that's bright!
After two coats of coral paint and lots of drying time, it was time to create the design on the top. I was so inspired by this credenza by Centsational Girl and knew I had to have this design on something, somewhere in my house. Enter: my new coral dresser--the perfect candidate. Centsational Girl's blog is also where I gained all of my newfound furniture-painting knowledge so be sure to check out her blog for tons of useful information and inspiring tips!
Ok, so back to our beauty. I measured and measured and measured to my heart's content (and if you think this taping business took forever, you're right!). Alas, it was time to apply the white paint (yikes!). I chose a standard white latex paint from Rust-oleum. An important word to the wise: if you're considering creating a design like this with tape, be sure you don't buy fast-drying paint. I experienced this slight oversight when purchasing my paint and the results were disastrous. The key to getting perfectly straight lines is removing the tape when the paint is still wet--something that is nearly impossible when using fast-drying paint. :(
After sulking for a bit about my ugly mess, I got back up on my feet, re-taped, repainted, and touched up here and there and boom! I was done! That's actually an extremely oversimplified version of how the story went (fixing the mistakes took forever!!), but you get the picture. When I was finally satisfied, I finished it off with 3 coats of Polycrylic for protection and shine.
And now allow me to share my finished product!
And just for kicks, let's take one last look at the before & after.
PS. I'm participating in these!